Portable Document Format, also known as PDF, is the preferred format for file sharing. The PDF file can contain a variety of data like images and texts, combined with graphics, videos and animations that are arranged in a chronological order for a specific purpose.
Data is usually shared through the internet or e-mail. Many e-mail providers limit the size of the file that can be sent and in this case, PDF files are at a great disadvantage as they are bulk. Decreasing the file size of the PDF file and bringing it within the limit of the service provider becomes a necessity.
Decreasing the file size of PDF can be done in loss less and lossy means. The whole file can be archived using WinRar or WinZip and this process decreases the file size of the PDF. Decreasing file size can also use software that decreases the file size of PDFs. They edit the metadata, removing unnecessary and repetitive parts, optimizing the space.
The reduction in file size of PDFs can also be done by using the following tips, without any assistance from additional software:
1. While the PDFs are edited, instead of saving only the edited part, save the entire file over the original, as it will erase metadata strings no longer in use.
2. There are named destinations in PDFs which are similar to bookmarks. They consume a lot of space and must be avoided.
3. The PDF optimizer can be used for identifying large chunks of the file, allowing you to edit it or remove it.
4. The graphics and font must be managed thoroughly. Changing the font often will increase the size. Images and graphics should also be encoded.
5. The colors used must be in the RGB scale as they occupy less memory than the CMYK scale.