JPEG is the abbreviation for Joint Photographic Experts Group. It is a committee which designed the .jpg file format which is a standard for images. The same committee formed a better version of JPEG, which had added advantage. The format was named JPEG200 and the extension for the file format was assigned as .jp2.
JPEG 200, like JPEG is an image standard and JPEG 200 is an image compression standard which is actually wavelet based, whereas JPEG was based on discrete cosine transform. The compression standards have been raised by a phenomenal margin with the JPEG 200 format. This is mainly because of the flexible code stream that governs the conversion and compression of image files. The code stream can be truncated at any point of time and at that instant, the resolution in which the image was present will be the output. By truncating the code stream at various points, various resolutions of the same image can be obtained, thereby making the image easily scalable. Also, the image is scaled to any desired value using a proper code and hence, the image does not become jaggy.
One of the major advantages is that the scaled image does not become jaggy. However, JPEG 200 has to encode and decode data regularly and hence, complex encoders and decoders are required for generating a proper image in the required scale.
JPEG 200 is also one among the ISO standards for images. However, due to its complex encoding and decoding techniques, many web browsers do not support the format so it is not widely used on the internet
Some of the major characteristics of the format are
1. The compression is done by complex entropy techniques, due to which the artifacts are removed and the grainy forms in the image become invisible.
2. The image file can be represented in multiple resolutions. The image can be represented in other presentations, beyond the scope of compression.
3. It uses progressive transmission, by means of which the file is downloaded as a basic one first with very low resolution and the resolution gradually increases from a blurred image to a crystal image.
4. Easy compression techniques those are lossless and lossy.
5. The file format is flexible and can easily be modified.
6. Alpha planes and transparency are supported completely.