Portable Document Format files or PDF files as they are commonly known are used mainly for sharing of document and data. This is done mainly over the internet. However, the PDF files are mostly ridiculously large when it comes to the size of the file that is being shared.
These will all affect the user in the following ways:
1. Slow response and more time for downloading.
2. Usage of bandwidth is more.
3. It wastes time and space.
The reason behind the ridiculous large size is that in the PDF files, images are stored in space consuming formats like .bmp and also many graphics and fonts may be used which may have caused the increase in the file size. From these, the importance of knowing how to downsize PDF files is seen.
Some of the main reasons why one must know how to downsize PDF files are
1. They reduce the space required.
2. They do not need more time for loading.
3. They also use less bandwidth.
Here are some different methods that will show you exactly how to downsize PDF:
1. Usage of Color sync Utility: It is a utility that is available in all operating systems. It allows the user to open a PDF file in it and then through the software, a filter can be set up which will compress the image files and hence, reduce the file size so. From the software, the downsized PDF file can also be saved separately. They can also be added as an attachment to mails and be sent.
2. How to downsize PDF for online viewing: for files that are viewed online only, this method can be followed. The bitmap images pixel size can be reduced to 16 dpi and then be used in the PDF file.
3. How to downsize PDF for other purposes: For regular use of the file, the image quality can be reduced and the fonts can be stopped from being embedded into the files.
4. How to downsize PDF by modification of properties: It is similar to the above ones. However, in this, all of them are done to an extent. The color and pixels of the file can be filtered and then the images can also be reduced in size in various means.